She has a powerhouse voice, a natural and easy charm, and a delightfully cheeky wit. With years of experience under her belt, Kym has evolved into a singing and song-writing sensation--spearheading the creative charge by writing or co-writing all five tracks from her EP, Mirror, which was released on January 29, 2016.
'Mirror' follows on the heels of 'If You Stole My Heart', released in 2000, and 2007’s 'Priority', both of which were recorded in Nashville. For this latest release, Kym chose to work closer to home, laying down tracks at Calgary’s MCC Recording Studios under the watchful eye of veteran producer Johnny Gasparic (Gord Bamford, George Canyon, Clayton Bellamy).
“We have the same energy level and we both love to talk, so the communication and vibe in the studio was amazing. And, the biggest thing was he let me be creative; he wasn’t running roughshod over the sessions. He was patient and let me do my thing and then went back over the material to try and make it better. It was the best experience I have had in a studio,” says Kym.
When you speak to Kym, hear her sing live, or listen to the energy she brings to her music on recordings, it’s hard to believe that this vivacious and confident stage performer started off as a music loving, but painfully shy young gal from Stettler, Alberta. She surrounded herself with song, but never thought it would become a vocation.
“My grandparents were in a local dance band that played at all the community halls and events in the area; and, my parents also played in a band. Every family get-together meant sing-alongs where everyone had to get up and do their own little number. So, I was surrounded by music and always encouraged to play and sing,” she said, adding that her earliest musical influences were Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, and Martina McBride – all vocalists known for their passion, power, and memorable performances.
Throughout her extensive performing career, Kym has shared the concert and festival stage with the likes of Aaron Pritchett, Patricia Conroy, Wendell Ferguson, and Gord Bamford. She has also used her talent and time to support many worthwhile charitable causes – most commonly ones involving emergency services and first responders, since her husband is currently a professional firefighter for the City of Edmonton.
With her own strength and self-confidence, Kym’s place in the world of Canadian country music is gaining momentum. As she releases more songs, performs more shows, and dazzles more fans with her easy-going charm, spectacular showmanship, and dynamite voice, she will continue to share her remarkable musical gift from coast to coast -- and beyond.
Kym demonstrates her ample playful side on ‘Myself to Blame’: “The song is really a tongue-in-cheek look at the “walk of shame”, but from a woman’s point of view,” Kym explained. "We had a lot of fun writing about what it would be like to have this happen and not always have it end up being a bad thing in the end. It leaves you wondering what is going to happen if she stays...the woman in the song may have just met the love of her life!"
- 'Mirror': Producer - Johnny Gasparic, recorded at MCC Recording Studio, Calgary, AB – Released January 2016!
- 'Priority': Producer - Steve Fox, recorded at Omni Sound, Nashville, TN - 2007
- 'If You Stole My Heart': Producer - Ed Russell, recorded at Castle Records, Nashville, TN - 2000
- ACMA (Association of Country Music in Alberta) Nominee for Song and Video of the Year for her single ‘Myself to Blame”
- Publishing Deal for “Easy Way Out” with The Music Group, Nashville, TN
- Nashville’s 2008 Music City Songwriter’s Competition – Winner with her single “Easy Way Out”,
- CMT’S Listener’s Choice Award – Finalist with “Easy Way Out” (United States)
- Unisong International Songwriting Contest – 3rd place with “You Read My Mind” (International)
- Great American Song Contest – Top 5 with “Easy Way Out” (United States)
- 2008 Australian Songwriters Competition - 7th in the international category with “Easy Way Out”
- The Singer Songwriter Awards – Finalist with “Easy Way Out” (Europe)
- CCMA 2008 - Top 10 for Record Producer of the Year for album “Priority”
Clubs & Festivals:
- ACMA (Association of Country Music in Alberta) FanFest 2017, Red Deer, AB
- ACMA Showcase Stage, CCMA 2016, London, ON
- Diamonds in the Rough, CCMA 2016, London, ON
- Cowboys, Calgary, AB
- Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville, TN
- Graceland, Memphis, TN
- Legends on Broadway, Nashville, TN
- Honky Tonk Central, Nashville, TN
- Tootsies, Nashville, TN
- Ranchman’s, Calgary, AB
- CCMA Songwriter’s Café Stage, Winnipeg, MB
- Big Valley Jamboree, Camrose, AB
- Ponoka Stampede, Ponoka, AB
Radio/TV/Print Performances & Interviews:
- CTV Saskatoon
- CTV Regina
- Shaw TV Lethbridge
- Canadian Beats Magazine
- Red Deer Express
- Devon Dispatch
- CTV Ottawa
- CHCH Morning Live – Hamilton
- CP24 Breakfast Television – Toronto
- CKGY Red Deer Podcast
- Dave Woods – Blog Talk Radio
- Country Music Junkies
- Stettler Independent
- Devon Dispatch - Article
Live Television Performances: